BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Basics

2011-03-18 08:51:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Basics
From: Timothy Murphy <gayleard AT eircom DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 12:49:05 +0000
Joe Konecny wrote:

>> Yesterday for example I was looking for a solution to a problem
>> on my wife's Windows laptop ("STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}"),
>> and found innumerable offers of "free" programs that would solve this
>> and every problem under the sun for $35.
>> In the end I found by running a Fedora Live CD
>> that a memory module was faulty
>> (the machine's Diagnostic program said it was fine).
>
> Memtest86 perhaps?

The laptop is a Dell Latitude D610.
There is a Diagnostic program one can enter by pressing F12 at boot-time.
The memory part of this ran for over 30 minutes,
and said the memory module was fine.

I ran memtest86 from the Fedora Live CD,
and this said the memory was bad.
(I found one can enter memtest86 on the Live CD
by pressing space at boot-time.)
I took out the memory and put it in another laptop,
and it failed again under Fedora memtest86.

I've installed new memory, and the problem has gone away.

>> Incidentally, is there a Windows backup program as good as BackupPC?
>> The standard Windows backup program has no facility
>> to make incremental backups, as far as I can see,
>> and also seems inordinately slow.
>
> You're kidding right?  There are so many good windows backup
> programs out there.  Yeah you'll have to pay for the best ones.
> I honestly cannot remember the name of the last one I used, I've
> been using Amanda for a long time.

I should have said that there does not seem to be
a Microsoft backup program.
I'm reluctant to run non-MS programs,
for the same reason that I do not like to run
unofficial Fedora or CentOS programs,
since I have found that they frequently cause problems after updates.

> There are loads of ms forums out there.  Many of them are
> very professional.

Such as ...

--
Timothy Murphy