BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] tar on localhost (and shell escaping)

2010-11-15 07:32:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] tar on localhost (and shell escaping)
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 06:30:34 -0600
On 11/14 09:00 , Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> Frank J. Gómez wrote at about 11:12:18 -0500 on Friday, November 12, 2010:
>  > It just seemed silly to me to encrypt data that wasn't ever leaving the
>  > machine...

For backups from the local machine, I just use tar. The CPU requirements are
much lower, and local bandwidth is cheaper than CPU (you have to move the
data around anyway to do the rsync checksum calculations); so I found that
tar is faster.

As a side note, I also turn off pool compression for the local backups, and
have the BackupPC data tree on its own disk array. This way if the disk the
OS (and therefore /etc) resides on dies, and I need to restore the BackupPC
configuration, I can do it without the BackupPC tools. (Not trivial, but
easily possible).

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator