BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] tar on localhost (and shell escaping)

2010-11-17 04:57:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] tar on localhost (and shell escaping)
From: "Pedro M. S. Oliveira" <pmsoliveira AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 09:55:21 +0000
Hi,
I'm a bit late on this conversation, but why not use rsync instead of tar on
the local machine?
I'm not talking about rsync over ssh to localhost but plain old rsync. I can
see some advantages (on speed, diskspace, and cputime).
Here's how i did it:

1 - copy your rsync executable file to your backuppc bin directory
2 - set this rsync suid root, be sure to only allow this rsync to be executed
by backuppc user.
3 - on localhost setup on backuppc config set:
RsyncClientPath  =  /opt/BackupPC/bin/rsync
RsyncClientCmd  = /opt/BackupPC/bin/rsync $argList+
RsyncClientRestoreCmd  =  $rsyncPath $argList+

This way you can continue to use rsync on the local machine without the
overhead of ssh and tcp/ip.
Don't forget to save backuppc config (/etc/backuppc) to somewhere else to be
easier to restore the config in case of need.
And if you are backingup / don't forget to exclude /mnt /dev /sys /media /mnt
/proc

If you need some assistance with this setup just drop me a line

Cheers,
Pedro

On Tuesday 16 November 2010 22:36:48 Dale King wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 09:00:10AM -0500, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> > If you are on the same machine, you can do directly without ssh
> > by using sudo (and you can protect a little more by setting up sodoers
> > properly). Then there is no compression for the local machine...
> >
> > $Conf{RsyncClientCmd} = '/usr/bin/sudo $rsyncPath $argList+';
>
> Sorry for replying out of order but I lost the original post by Frank.
>
> Here is what I use to stop the date being interpreted.  If someone could
> fix the wiki that would be great:
>
> $Conf{TarClientCmd} = '/usr/bin/env LC_ALL=C /usr/bin/sudo /root/tarCreate -v
> -f - -C $shareName --totals';
> $Conf{TarIncrArgs} = '--newer=$incrDate $fileList+';
>

> Where /root/tarCreate is (different to the wiki):
>
> #!/bin/sh -f
>
> exec /bin/tar -c "$@"

Pedro M. S. Oliveira
IT Consultant