BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] tar on localhost (and shell escaping)

2010-11-12 03:13:30
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] tar on localhost (and shell escaping)
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 08:11:32 +0000
If you've already got SSH and rsync installed, you'll always get better
results with rsync than with tar.

Regards,
Tyler

On Thu, 2010-11-11 at 17:57 -0500, Frank J. Gómez wrote:
> Tar just seemed simpler.
>
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
> <chrome AT real-time DOT com> wrote:
>         On 11/11 02:43 , Frank J. Gómez wrote:
>         > Paranoid person that I am, I followed the instructions here
>         (
>         > http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/localhost.html) to run
>         tar in a way that
>         > would not allow the backuppc user to become root.
>

>         Is there a reason you're using tar rather than rsync? I run
>         rsync-over-ssh
>         without root access (using sudo in the host key on the remote
>         side). I do
>         realize there are cases where tar is faster tho.
>
>         --
>         Carl Soderstrom
>         Systems Administrator
>         Real-Time Enterprises
>         www.real-time.com

>         Centralized Desktop Delivery: Dell and VMware Reference
>         Architecture
>         Simplifying enterprise desktop deployment and management using
>         Dell EqualLogic storage and VMware View: A highly scalable,
>         end-to-end
>         client virtualization framework. Read more!
>         http://p.sf.net/sfu/dell-eql-dev2dev

"The belief in immortality has always seemed cowardly to me. When very
young I learned that all things die, and all that we wish of good must
be won on this earth or not at all."
   -- Anne Smedley