BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] tar on localhost (and shell escaping)

2010-11-17 05:12:30
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] tar on localhost (and shell escaping)
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 10:10:42 +0000
You could do this, and many other things to back up your BackupPC server
differently from your other hosts. The best reason not to is the law of
diminishing returns.

My BackupPC server uses SSH+rsync directly as root, and archives
everything from / down, except for virtual filesystems
and /var/lib/backuppc itself. It finishes a full in 20 minutes and and
incremental in ten. This is about as fast as the other servers it
archives.

So, do you implement (and support) a totally different method for the
local host, using a dangerously powerful setuid executable that is
detached from your package manager (not receiving updates), just to save
a few minutes?

Or do you just use what works well enough to begin with, and which is
identical to your other backups?

Regards,
Tyler

--
"A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in
anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity."