BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to stop starting new backup jobs?

2010-11-09 08:10:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to stop starting new backup jobs?
From: Pavel Hofman <pavel.hofman AT ivitera DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 14:08:07 +0100

Tyler J. Wagner napsal(a):
> On Tue, 2010-11-09 at 12:41 +0100, Pavel Hofman wrote:
>> Thanks a lot for your suggestion. In fact we use the PreDumpUserCmd to
>> lock the backed-up machines to disable shutdown while the backup is in
>> progress. You are right, it will work. Though IMHO it is an "unpretty"
>> workaround :-) , especially because the PreDumpUserCmd does not support
>> multiple commands and everything must but put to scripts instead.
>
> You can put multiple command in. Here is mine, which sends a passive OS
> dialog using kdialog (which works fine with Gnome too) to tell the users
> that a backup is starting.:
>
> $sshPath -q -x -l root $host su `/bin/echo $user | /bin/sed 's/@.*//'`
> -c "/usr/bin/kdialog --display :0 --title \"BackupPC on backuppc.local\"
> --passivepopup \"Beginning $type backup on $client  at `/bin/date +'%Y-%
> m-%d %T %Z'`\""
>
> If you can pipe, you can &&.
>
> Regards,
> Tyler

Tyler,

Thanks for your help. Your setup still runs only one command on the
backuppc server - ssh with params. In the same way I could run bash -c
"multiple commands" but figuring out all the doublequotes and backslahes
takes a lot of trying and is not pretty. The source code says something
about accepting perl code in that config parameter but I did not figure
out how it works.

Still, using PreDumpUserCmd for graceful shutdown is a clever but
"unpretty" workaround :-)

Regards,

Pavel.