BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to stop starting new backup jobs?

2010-11-09 06:43:32
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to stop starting new backup jobs?
From: Pavel Hofman <pavel.hofman AT ivitera DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 12:41:06 +0100
Mirco Piccin napsal(a):
> Hi,
>
>> Is there a way to tell backuppc to finish the currently running backup
>> jobs and not to start new ones?
>
> maybe not the better way, but you could obtain that using DumpPreUserCmd
> and DumpPostUserCmd
> You need also to set UserCmdCheckStatus = 1;
>
> In the DumpPreUserCmd, you can use a diy script that:
> 1. verifiy if a specified lock file is present or not
> (backup-in-progress flag);
> or you could check for folder "new": if it exists, means that a new
> backup is in progress.
> Usually it is located in host dir : $TopDir/pc/$host
> 2. if new folder or lock file exists, return non-zero number : in this
> way the new coming backup is aborted.
>
> If you are using a lock file (and not the new folder) as
> backup-in-progress flag, in the
> DumpPostUserCmd use a diy script that deletes the lock file.
>
> Hope this helps
> regards

Mirco,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. In fact we use the PreDumpUserCmd to
lock the backed-up machines to disable shutdown while the backup is in
progress. You are right, it will work. Though IMHO it is an "unpretty"
workaround :-) , especially because the PreDumpUserCmd does not support
multiple commands and everything must but put to scripts instead.

Thanks,

Pavel.