BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsync / Tar for a WAN backup of OS X machines

2010-10-07 12:02:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsync / Tar for a WAN backup of OS X machines
From: Dan Pritts <danno AT internet2 DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 11:44:05 -0400
> When tar makes full backups, does-it transfer everything even afer
> the first full backup ? Internet connection being really slow, this is
> not really an option...

I believe it will transfer everything for each full backup.

You can specify lists of files to exclude; I would suggest that you only back
up home directories, but make sure you and your users understand all the
implications of that

> - If it does, is it the same with Rsync ? Or with Rsync only the first
> full backup transfers everything ?

only the first full, if you use rsync checksum-caching.

> - With rsync, is there some ressource forks / filename problems for OS
> X / Linux transfers ?

Probably - but it depends on whether your important data has resource forks or
not.  my limited experience is that most data files don't use resource forks
any more.  But MOST does not mean ALL.  :)

You may want to try this:

http://www.quesera.com/reynhout/misc/rsync+hfsmode/

I have not tried it with backuppc.  I do not know whether it works with
checksum-caching.

> - If I use tar, and if tar does transfer everything with each full
> backup, is it possible to have only one yearly full backup, and 52
> weekly incremental backups ? does it sound like a good idea ?

It is possible.  Make sure you understand what each incremental backup backs
up, though.

Read the "Incremental backup" section of the faq at:
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html

in short, there are multiple levels, and each level backs up the things changed
since the previous higher-level backup.

you may want to do something like
yearly full
monthly level 1
weekly level 2
monday level 3
tuesday level 4
wednesday level 5
thursday level 3
friday level 4

In practice, I would watch the amount of data sent on incrementals and adjust
the schedule accordingly.

If you want to get really tricky, search for "towers of hanoi" backup
scheduling.

> Many thanks for your help, and sorry for languages mistakes, english
> is not my primary language, doing my best ;)

Your English is 1000x better than my French (guessing from your name that is
what you speak natively).

danno