BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Rsync / Tar for a WAN backup of OS X machines

2010-10-07 07:29:33
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Rsync / Tar for a WAN backup of OS X machines
From: Stéphane Dupont <steph.eluna AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 13:27:03 +0200
Hello all,

I must backup a few OS X machines (10.3, 10.4, 10.5) on a linux
BackupPC server. Theses machines are not on the same network than the
BackupPC server, and so I must backup them using an internet
connection.

I have a few questions regarding the best method to use.

- When tar makes full backups, does-it transfer everything even afer
the first full backup ? Internet connection being really slow, this is
not really an option...

- If it does, is it the same with Rsync ? Or with Rsync only the first
full backup transfers everything ?

- With rsync, is there some ressource forks / filename problems for OS
X / Linux transfers ?

- If I use tar, and if tar does transfer everything with each full
backup, is it possible to have only one yearly full backup, and 52
weekly incremental backups ? does it sound like a good idea ?

Many thanks for your help, and sorry for languages mistakes, english
is not my primary language, doing my best ;)

Best regards,
Stephane Dupont