BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsync / Tar for a WAN backup of OS X machines

2010-10-07 08:45:14
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsync / Tar for a WAN backup of OS X machines
From: Samuel Krieg <skrieg+ml AT wng DOT ch>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 14:15:28 +0200
Stéphane Dupont wrote :

> - If it does, is it the same with Rsync ? Or with Rsync only the first
> full backup transfers everything ?
I know incremential rsync transfers only modified files.

> - With rsync, is there some ressource forks / filename problems for OS
> X / Linux transfers ?
It depends on too many factor to give you an answer. Filesystem limitations or
server/client default
encoding could problematic. My first test would be the file name's encoding.

> - If I use tar, and if tar does transfer everything with each full
> backup, is it possible to have only one yearly full backup, and 52
> weekly incremental backups ? does it sound like a good idea ?
I don't think so. I believe incremential backups should not be so far away
between each other.

> Many thanks for your help, and sorry for languages mistakes, english
> is not my primary language, doing my best ;)
No worry, me neither.

By the way:
I'm using BackupPC to backup MacOS X desktops (using rsync).
Even if they are located in the LAN I do not backup the whole system.
I only backup their emails but I think I could also include the personnal
documents.

The host.pl config file contains some lines looking like these:

   $Conf{RsyncClientCmd} = '$sshPath -x -l user1 $host nice -n 5 $rsyncPath
$argList+';
   $Conf{BackupFilesOnly} = [ '/Users/user1/Library/Mail' ];

Hope it helps.

--
Samuel Krieg