BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] General Praise.

2010-10-07 12:03:14
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] General Praise.
From: Dan Pritts <danno AT internet2 DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 11:55:41 -0400
I agree with your general praise, BackupPC works very well for us in our
environment, which is maybe half your size.  Due to your large size, I'll leave
you with one thought:

One concern I've always had with backuppc is what would happen if i had a
disaster and had to restore everything from backuppc.

It would take absolutely forever to do this, because backuppc has to seek the
disks so much (due to the effects of all those hard links).

I haven't done enough testing of this.

We do send copies of our backuppc drives offsite.  I've always assumed that if
i had to restore, the first thing I'd do would be duplicate the drives a couple
times so I could do multiple restores in parallel.