BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsync / Tar for a WAN backup of OS X machines

2010-10-11 03:35:11
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsync / Tar for a WAN backup of OS X machines
From: Stéphane Dupont <steph.eluna AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 09:32:32 +0200
Many thanks for your answer.

> I believe it will transfer everything for each full backup.

I've made some tests, and yes, it does :(

>> - With rsync, is there some ressource forks / filename problems for OS
>> X / Linux transfers ?
>
> Probably - but it depends on whether your important data has resource forks
> or not.  my limited experience is that most data files don't use resource
> forks any more.  But MOST does not mean ALL.  :)
>
> You may want to try this:
>
> http://www.quesera.com/reynhout/misc/rsync+hfsmode/
>
> I have not tried it with backuppc.  I do not know whether it works with
> checksum-caching.

I compiled rsync 3.0.7 on a machine, but the -E option doesn't seems
to work with backuppc.

Without this option, when I restore a file, I lose the preview icon
and file type descriptions in the OsX file explorer, so it's kinda
annoying and I choosed to used tar (with tar, it save two files for
each file, and when you restore the two files, it's all ok)

>> - If I use tar, and if tar does transfer everything with each full
>> backup, is it possible to have only one yearly full backup, and 52
>> weekly incremental backups ? does it sound like a good idea ?
>
> It is possible.  Make sure you understand what each incremental backup backs
> up, though.
>
> Read the "Incremental backup" section of the faq at:
> http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html
>
> in short, there are multiple levels, and each level backs up the things
> changed since the previous higher-level backup.
>
> you may want to do something like
> yearly full
> monthly level 1
> weekly level 2
> monday level 3
> tuesday level 4
> wednesday level 5
> thursday level 3
> friday level 4
>
> In practice, I would watch the amount of data sent on incrementals and adjust
> the schedule accordingly.
>
> If you want to get really tricky, search for "towers of hanoi" backup
> scheduling.

Thanks, I'll check that !

> Your English is 1000x better than my French (guessing from your name that is
> what you speak natively).

Good guess, and thanks ;)

Steph