BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How do I install on NETGEAR ReadyNAS NV+?

2010-04-29 18:12:04
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How do I install on NETGEAR ReadyNAS NV+?
From: Omair Khan <omair.adil.khan AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 18:09:38 -0400
I took your advice, Les, and re-installed the passwd package to get chfn. I found how to do this specifically on the ReadyNAS at�http://www.blog.vacs.fr/index.php?post/2009/03/22/Installing-Mysql-server-on-a-ReadyNAS-duo. I then�reinstalled�BackupPC (apt-get install --reinstall backuppc).�However, now I get the following error:

Starting backuppc: 2010-04-29 17:48:39 $Conf{NmbLookupPath} = '/usr/bin/nmblookup' is not a valid executable program
invoke-rc.d: initscript backuppc, action "start" failed.

I found that nmblookup was part of the samba package, so I reinstalled samba�but got the same error. I thought that I might need to chmod nmblookup to be executable but the file/directory isn't anywhere on my computer.

I'm stuck!

Thanks in advance,

Omair

On 28 April 2010 15:26, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
On 4/28/2010 1:40 PM, Omair Khan wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I want to install and setup BackupPC on my ReadyNAS NV+
> running RAIDiator 4.1.6 firmware. I installed the ToggleSSH,
> EnableRootSSH, and APT add-ons. When I ran apt-get install backuppc the
> installation seemed to go smoothly until the very end. I've posted the
> output here: http://pastebin.com/zkCJbjLN .
>
> I know that BackupPC can be run on a ReadyNAS device
> (http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=4BBBAD37.40504 AT companion DOT se)
> but the thread doesn't say *how* to go about the installation. BackupPC
> is the perfect solution for my needs so I hope someone can help me out.

I don't know enough about that OS to help much, but the problem seems to
be that it failed to create the system-level backuppc user:
#
Can't exec "/usr/bin/chfn": No such file or directory at
/usr/sbin/adduser line 892.
#
chown: `backuppc:backuppc': invalid user

Is there a package you need to add to get the chfn command or anything
else it might take to make the adduser program succeed?