BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Using backuppc with LVM snapshots to reduce rsync server load.

2010-04-29 17:45:32
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Using backuppc with LVM snapshots to reduce rsync server load.
From: Gerald Brandt <gbr AT majentis DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 16:47:14 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,

----- "Kameleon" <kameleon25 AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> I have been using backuppc for quite some time now. I use it at home in a xen domu to back up all my servers/machines at home and here at work I use it on a physical host to backup all of our servers. I use rsync method of backing up where applicable and rsyncd on the windows machines.
>
> One thing I have noticed lately here at work is the server being backed up has its load go sky high when a backup is running. I have thought about ways to avoid this if possible. I remember reading, somewhere I cannot find again,  that someone did a similar method to what I am thinking may help. Most of our servers will be Xen domu's running in logical volumes located on the dom0 hypervisor. What I was thining may be possible is running an lvm snapshot of the virtual machines lvm partition, mount the snapshot, and run backuppc against that snapshot for that specific host.
>
> It should be straight forward with the exception of a few of our VM's would have "nested" lv's. For example, on a CentOS VM installed on the dom0 lv named /dev/xenvg/domu1 it will then have a swap and a root lv that it sees and runs from. I have used tools like kpartx before to split these nested lv's into readable data so that may be a paart of the solution. Would anyone have any experience with similar setups and can guide me in the right direction?

I'd thought of doing the same thing.  Most of our XenServer VM's don't have LVM, so I was looking at hcp from r1soft http://www.r1soft.com/tools/linux-hot-copy/

I'm looking at running hcp as a pre-backup command, and then remove the hcp snapshot as a postbackup command... similar to how some people use VSS under Windows.

Gerald