BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Noted Observations & Complaints Using BackupPC for 5 mon

2010-04-22 22:57:56
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Noted Observations & Complaints Using BackupPC for 5 mon
From: Saturn2888 <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 22:56:17 -0400
I've seen so many things on the mailing list. I don't know how to respond, what
program to use if any, if there's some special way to keep track. Think of if
you've never come across a forum before. Someone would have to teach you how to
use it. This is the same thing. Pointing me to where a bunch of mail-list links
are wouldn't help because I already know about that. Instead of mail list,
let's call it Communication Method X. If you speak to me about getting or
writing to Communication Method X, how would I know what that means? Sure you
can point me to links I can click on, but there's no information on it. It's
like saying "just post it in the forums" but not telling me I need a user/pass
and that after getting in you post topics or replies to topics already made by
other people and have discussions about that topic while also lacking the
explanation of the fundamentals of threads and posts and different methods of
viewing and managing them.

Hmm... For my RAID5 setups, I've always ended up with the speed of one drive or
more, not less than one drive. On my main rig using Intel ICH10R, I'm able to
get close to 200MB/s using 5 hard drives. If each drive can write consistently
at 75MB/s, I'm writing 53% of the total continuous write capacity whereas
you're trying to explain that it's completely for me to even get anywhere from
5-20MB/s (under 10%) write speed using RAID5 with the same or faster drives
because of some massive overhead. I see this as a problem and do not think that
if this was true, anyone would ever use RAID5 with anything less than 10 drives
as it'd be completely unusable. I do not think it was the RAID5 that was the
issue though especially since I changed over to a single-drive setup just
recently which also has the slower speeds, even slower than writing with the
RAID5.

I'll try to get a hold of more memory within the next month then. I believe I
could probably switch out what I have in other machines and try. I only saw, at
most, 6MB of swap used, but I always figured it's a good idea to have a swap
partition. I always thought it would be used, but my RAM usually is normally
around 380MB which is why I've never felt like I needed more RAM.

Ah yes, is the compression something that happens during the backup or after?

I have no problems using smbclient or file managers in Windows. The files
disappearing happened only after continued use. As far as I remember, the very
first full backup did what I wanted, any since started having missing parts
which could've been because I started adding more and more hosts. The user was
an admin user with full file access apart from whatever the System user gets.

I wonder how I missed that bit in the documentation on checksum caching. I'm
assuming I just didn't understand its use.

Another issue has come up just recently. A machine has been in standby since
before this server came back online and both the virtual machine on that server
and the server OS itself are both reported as failed backups when they should
have been shown as having no ping. Since transitioning to my 2TB drive, I've
also noticed the pool information vanished. My pool filesystem grew last night
from 18% to 23% usage. That means an extra 100GB of files appeared. I think
something is wrong. Is there a way to fix this?