BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Noted Observations & Complaints Using BackupPC for 5 months

2010-04-22 12:36:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Noted Observations & Complaints Using BackupPC for 5 months
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 12:34:10 -0400
Saturn2888 wrote at about 06:53:45 -0400 on Thursday, April 22, 2010:
 > Please feel free, from here on in, to question or assert my
 >  obervations and complaints so that we may all get a well-rounded
 > understanding of the situation

<Snipped thousands of words of high-level rambling complaints>

First, rather than complaining, how about submitting some specific
issues or bug reports rather than long, rambling high level complaints
that are pretty inactionable.

Second, stringing together 5 months of complaints across multiple
loosely-connected issues is not going to either induce or enable
others to help you.

Third, rather than complaining about your issues, how about doing some
troubleshooting to try to isolate the source of the issue.
e.g.,
          1. Compare and test the speed of naked samba, rsync, and rsyncd
                 without BackupPC
          2. Continue to compare and pare down systems until you can
                 identify the source of differences between systems
          3. Try smaller/simpler backups. Look at large vs. small files,
                 etc.\

Finally, how about contributing solutions yourself to some of the
issues. If you don't find the log files helpful then either come up
with a better way or pay someone else to code the enhancements. I'm
sure quality additions will be gladly accepted.

In summary, we are all volunteers - non-constructive complaints are
neither warranted, helpful, nor appreciated.