BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Noted Observations & Complaints Using BackupPC for 5 months

2010-04-22 07:34:55
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Noted Observations & Complaints Using BackupPC for 5 months
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 12:32:51 +0100
On Thursday 22 April 2010 11:53:45 Saturn2888 wrote:
> I wish I could figure this out. Everything I'm seeing is attributed to
>  Rsyncd. Samba was so fast and Rsync seems to work just fine but Rsyncd is
>  entirely botched. All of my machines show a high amount of CPU usage
>  whenever BackupPC beings an Rsyncd backup anywhere from 33% on my
>  most-powerful rig (a quad-core) to 95-100% on my netbook.

All of my Linux servers, most of which are Ubuntu 8.04, use "rsync", not
"rsyncd", since they already run SSH.  They don't suffer from any of the
problems you've described.

Data throughput is rarely above 10 mbyte/sec, however.  This is rsync, and
it's not just pushing data.  It is comparing and then sending.  Only a backup
of a single large file should push anywhere near Ethernet maximum.

I have found that my backup server can comfortably support 4 or 5 simultaneous
backups, each of which will push at least 5 mbyte/sec.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"Religion is autocratic, law is democratic, and science is
meritocratic. Religious logic is dogmatic, legal logic is axiomatic, and