BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc: browsing Archive backup

2010-04-12 17:16:36
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc: browsing Archive backup
From: Josh Malone <jmalone AT nrao DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 17:14:41 -0400
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 22:35:30 +0200, "Antonio Ramos Recoder (MONTREL S.
A.)" <antonio.ramos AT montrel DOT es> wrote:
> Dear Josh,
>
>  Thank you for your answer, unfortunately, I think I didn't explain
> myself properly, so I try again:
>
>  The backup policy I use is the one that the programs offers me, which
> means a full backup on day one and the six incremental backups on days 2
> through 7. Also the program allows me to save this "one week" backups in
> different dvds or external drives.

How are you saving this backup to dvd/external drive? I assumed you were
using the 'archive' host type. All this does is copy the files from the
pool to the external media. These files are still in your pool and
restorable without needing this external media.

> The problem I have is that now I want
> to restore a particular week, let's say from last April, I have backed
up
> using this system in an external drive. How can I do this?

Your backups from last april should still be in your pool provided you
keep enough fulls and have enough space. Make sure you set
$Conf{FullKeepCnt} to a high enough number to keep data as far back as you
like. My server still has data from November of 2008 in its oldest full
backups.

If you have an 'archive' on external media, you don't need backuppc, just
untar the files and copy them over to the machine you want to restore them
onto.

>  I would also like to know the proper way to use backuppc if I want to
> continue to work this way (saving the weekly backups in external drives
> and later on, when the need arises, restore one of these backups). Am I
> using the program in an efficient way? What do you recommend me?

I think perhaps you don't have you backup policy set quite right for your
requirements. Look over the documentation for the backup schedule:

http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#what_to_backup_and_when_to_do_it

-Josh

       Joshua Malone       Systems Administrator
     (jmalone AT nrao DOT edu)    NRAO Charlottesville
        434-296-0263         www.cv.nrao.edu
        434-249-5699 (mobile)
BOFH excuse #360:

Your parity check is overdrawn and you're out of cache.