BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc: browsing Archive backup

2010-04-12 18:29:18
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc: browsing Archive backup
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 17:27:07 -0500
On 4/12/2010 3:35 PM, Antonio Ramos Recoder (MONTREL S. A.) wrote:
> Dear Josh,
>

> Thank you for your answer, unfortunately, I think I didn't explain
> myself properly, so I try again:
>

> The backup policy I use is the one that the programs offers me, which
> means a full backup on day one and the six incremental backups on days 2
> through 7. Also the program allows me to save this “one week” backups in
> different dvds or external drives. The problem I have is that now I want
> to restore a particular week, let’s say from last April, I have backed
> up using this system in an external drive. How can I do this?

If you use the archive host approach to copying backups out of backuppc,
it is up to you to label and be able to find them.  At that point they
are basically a gnu tar copy that doesn't need backuppc to restore. And
it doesn't have a week's history, it has the lastest run (merging
incrementals with the previous full if necessary).

> I would also like to know the proper way to use backuppc if I want to
> continue to work this way (saving the weekly backups in external drives
> and later on, when the need arises, restore one of these backups). Am I
> using the program in an efficient way? What do you recommend me?

Normally, backuppc is mostly used for the online copy it makes in its
own format and knows how to restore, so you just give it a big raid for
storage and leave it alone.  There are a variety of ways to deal with
getting offsite copies, none particularly good.  One approach is to
image-copy the filesystem or the equivalent with raid-mirroring, then
swapping a disk out.  Another is to use an external disk as the backuppc
storage, swapping periodically and simply letting the next run catch up.
  Or, if you have enough bandwidth to another location you can run an
independent copy there.