BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_nightly takes too much time

2010-04-09 04:53:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_nightly takes too much time
From: "Norbert Schulze" <ns04 AT nurfuerspam DOT de>
To: ryan AT devision DOT us, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 10:51:03 +0200
Hello Ryan,

> 1) Raid5X is going to kill your performance. As mentioned in a previous
> message, convert to RAID10 if you can afford the space decrease.

The write speed of RAID 50 is higher than RAID 5 and i think this is not the
problem on my system. The backuppc server input - reading from disk - takes to
much time. The backups of new hosts with a lot of data are fast. It is only the
BackupPC_nightly process.

Yesterday i changed BackupPCNightlyPeriod to 4 and it seems ok.

http://www.astro.ufl.edu/~ken/perf_tests.html

> 2) Make sure you are setting the 'noatime' option on your backuppc pool
> storage partition

Ok, i change this now.

> 3) Edit your updatedb.conf and add the path to your backuppc pool to
> PRUNEPATHS.

Ok, i change this now.

> Also, are you using a BBU on your Adaptec 3805 card?

I think it is enabled.

Regards
Norbert