BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_nightly takes too much time

2010-04-07 16:46:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_nightly takes too much time
From: Josh Malone <jmalone AT nrao DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 16:43:52 -0400
On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 11:34:57 +0200, "Norbert Schulze"
<ns04 AT nurfuerspam DOT de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the BackupPC_nightly takes too much time. Is this too much data for this
> server?
>
> Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q9650  @ 3.00GHz
> Memory: 8GB
>
> General Server Information
> The servers PID is 15477, on host BACKUPPC-Server, version 3.1.0,
started
> at 3/29 14:35.
> This status was generated at 4/7 11:29.
> The configuration was last loaded at 4/7 11:29.
> PCs will be next queued at 4/7 12:00.
> Other info:
> 9 pending backup requests from last scheduled wakeup,
> 0 pending user backup requests,
> 10 pending command requests,
> Uncompressed pool:
> Pool is 357.26GB comprising 469442 files and 4369 directories (as of 4/6

I have a system with about the same amount of data and far more files
running on much less hardware. I, too, found backupPC_nightly taking a LONG
time. I switched from EXT3 to EXT4 (with extents enabled) and my problems
were basically solved. My system was also 32-bit (I've switched to 64-bit
since then to get better ext4 stability... long story, RedHat stinks)

What filesystem are you using?

-Josh

       Joshua Malone       Systems Administrator
     (jmalone AT nrao DOT edu)    NRAO Charlottesville
        434-296-0263         www.cv.nrao.edu
        434-249-5699 (mobile)
BOFH excuse #426:

internet is needed to catch the etherbunny