BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] NAS

2010-04-06 23:05:07
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] NAS
From: Luis Paulo <luis.barbas AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 04:02:14 +0100
Right, didn't get the diskless part, never try that. Ok, thanks
That's good to know, so you do have a good LAN. hehehe

What can be wrong?
One is crappy raid. Did, or can you, test it with only one disk? I understood raid is automatic when you put a second disk, but I was reading fast.
Don't believe on a NIC matter, and configuration you must have check it a lot.
Try speeds with CIFS/SMB or rsync?
Just my 5 cents over my head... :) but less than 1MB/s is really slow, right?

And maybe with should leave it for another post/subject. This is probably more than David was hoping for :)

I'm starting to think NAS are pretty much black boxes, so I'll go for more if possible (bigger if not) new disks to the server. eSata or USB3 external disks may also be nice possibilities, but those connections are not available on our tough old backuppc servers :)

Still, NAS gives others advantages.

Regards
Luis

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 3:20 AM, Adam Goryachev <mailinglists AT websitemanagers.com DOT au> wrote:

Luis Paulo wrote:

> "of=/tmp/test specifies the output file (of=) as /tmp/test ..."
>
> Right, but that's why I was expecting it targeting the mount point of
> the pc directories.
> The equivalent of of=/mnt/nas/media/test in the second command.
> Sorry to insist.

Yep, sure, but as I said, that machine is a diskless machine, so / is
actually NFS mounted from the old NFS server :) hence /tmp is already on
the NFS server. The new NFS (netgear nas) is mounted under /mnt/nas/media.

> That apart, I'd love to hear about those other issues, and figure out
> why is it at 834 kB/s :)

Yep, me too :)

> We established that with a 100M LAN, we can't expect more than 10MB/s.
> That's important for home users. All NIC's and switch/router have to be
> 1G to expect more. (I think all, not only some NIC's, not sure)

AFAIK, you only need to upgrade the connections to the PC's that
want/need the faster speeds, plus the NAS device itself (and switch).

> Allow me a few questions, if you have the time:
> On the netgear, are you using its build raid1? Hot swap works?

Yes, using built-in RAID1
Not entirely sure... I've removed/plugged a drive while it was switched
on, and it seemed to work, but I haven't tested removing a drive, and
plugging in a blank one. I want to get the more basic stuff working
first (like decent performance over NFS).

> Do you use the torrent capability (probably off subject)

No, I've disabled all the extras... I just need a NFS server, no extras...

> Thanks. You didn't expect to be so nagged when trying to help, right?

No problem :)

I'm thinking that I should have sprung for the bigger netgear nas, or
else the QNAP one, (QNAP sounded really good, and has a great feature
list... possibly worth it though considering the amount of time I've
wasted so far on the netgear :(

I'm not suggesting the netgear is crap BTW, just it doesn't work for me
yet...

Regards,
Adam

- --