BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] NAS

2010-04-06 22:22:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] NAS
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 12:20:56 +1000

Luis Paulo wrote:

> "of=/tmp/test specifies the output file (of=) as /tmp/test ..."
>
> Right, but that's why I was expecting it targeting the mount point of
> the pc directories.
> The equivalent of of=/mnt/nas/media/test in the second command.
> Sorry to insist.

Yep, sure, but as I said, that machine is a diskless machine, so / is
actually NFS mounted from the old NFS server :) hence /tmp is already on
the NFS server. The new NFS (netgear nas) is mounted under /mnt/nas/media.

> That apart, I'd love to hear about those other issues, and figure out
> why is it at 834 kB/s :)

Yep, me too :)

> We established that with a 100M LAN, we can't expect more than 10MB/s.
> That's important for home users. All NIC's and switch/router have to be
> 1G to expect more. (I think all, not only some NIC's, not sure)

AFAIK, you only need to upgrade the connections to the PC's that
want/need the faster speeds, plus the NAS device itself (and switch).

> Allow me a few questions, if you have the time:
> On the netgear, are you using its build raid1? Hot swap works?

Yes, using built-in RAID1
Not entirely sure... I've removed/plugged a drive while it was switched
on, and it seemed to work, but I haven't tested removing a drive, and
plugging in a blank one. I want to get the more basic stuff working
first (like decent performance over NFS).

> Do you use the torrent capability (probably off subject)

No, I've disabled all the extras... I just need a NFS server, no extras...

> Thanks. You didn't expect to be so nagged when trying to help, right?

No problem :)

I'm thinking that I should have sprung for the bigger netgear nas, or
else the QNAP one, (QNAP sounded really good, and has a great feature
list... possibly worth it though considering the amount of time I've
wasted so far on the netgear :(

I'm not suggesting the netgear is crap BTW, just it doesn't work for me
yet...

Regards,
Adam

- --