BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] NAS

2010-04-06 22:07:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] NAS
From: Luis Paulo <luis.barbas AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 03:05:17 +0100

"of=/tmp/test specifies the output file (of=) as /tmp/test ..."

Right, but that's why I was expecting it targeting the mount point of the pc directories.
The equivalent of of=/mnt/nas/media/test in the second command.
Sorry to insist.

That apart, I'd love to hear about those other issues, and figure out why is it at 834 kB/s :)

We established that with a 100M LAN, we can't expect more than 10MB/s. That's important for home users. All NIC's and switch/router have to be 1G to expect more. (I think all, not only some NIC's, not sure)

Allow me a few questions, if you have the time:
On the netgear, are you using its build raid1? Hot swap works?
Do you use the torrent capability (probably off subject)

Thanks. You didn't expect to be so nagged when trying to help, right?

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 2:37 AM, Adam Goryachev <mailinglists AT websitemanagers.com DOT au> wrote:

Luis Paulo wrote:
> Hi, Adam
> 38.3 MB/s seems a very high speed for old IDE disks through NFS

Sorry, that is a RAID1 array made up of these two disks (cat
/proc/hd[ac]/model):
WDC WD800JB-00ETA0 8M cache
WDC WD800JB-00ETA0 8M cache
Specs available at
http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=699

> I'll expect that speed measuring the disk on the machine, not through
> the home LAN

No, it is definitely speed over the LAN. The machine I was testing from
is a diskless system, so it has no local HDD at all. Definitely testing
over NFS.

> Thanks for the command. I think of=/tmp/test may be wrong. Or not, I'm
> really no expert here.

of=/tmp/test specifies the output file (of=) as /tmp/test which is just
a scratch file.... It will overwrite the existing file if it exists.

> I have a similar configuration (2x250 SATA1 local disks with lvm/mdadm),
> and I'm interested on NAS, not for backuppc (not for now, at least)
> 104857600 bytes (105 MB) copied, 10.8521 s, 9.7 MB/s (NFS mount)

Locally on the NFS server I get varying results (this is under a live load!)
104857600 bytes (105 MB) copied, 8.99671 s, 11.7 MB/s
104857600 bytes (105 MB) copied, 2.14727 s, 48.8 MB/s
104857600 bytes (105 MB) copied, 5.18016 s, 20.2 MB/s
104857600 bytes (105 MB) copied, 2.097 s, 50.0 MB/s

Each run done a few seconds apart. I don't think cacheing is an issue
here, cache should be much faster than that!

nfsserver:/proc/ide# hdparm -tT /dev/md0 (the RAID array)
/dev/md0:
 Timing cached reads:   454 MB in  2.00 seconds = 226.61 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  104 MB in  3.01 seconds =  34.49 MB/sec

> I also have a running 100Mb LAN, shouldn't we start there? How to get a
> 1Gb LAN, that is, maybe the NAS speed are limited by that.

Well, on a 100M LAN, you are looking at a max speed of around
10MegaBytes/sec... This is way under the desired performance ... hence
I've upgraded my switch plus ethernet cards to operate at 1G which
should give approx 100MegaBytes/sec transfer speed.

> Forgive if I said something very stupid.

No problem, just trying to get some decent performance out of this. BTW,
I've also got other issues with the device that I am working through
with netgear (slowly)...

Regards,
Adam

- --