BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Restoring files without backuppc

2010-02-12 05:43:10
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Restoring files without backuppc
From: Huw Wyn Jones <huw.jones AT meirion-dwyfor.ac DOT uk>
To: backuppc-users <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 10:40:47 +0000 (GMT)
Hi folks,

I have an old backuppc server which is no longer properly functional. I can get
the server running reliably with just networking and sshd services, but if I
start the backuppc service I get a kernel panic and the whole server freezes.

However I need to recover a users files from this old system. I read that you
can recover single files from the command line - but unfortunately I need
around 70Mb's worth of files! Not really practical to do this one at a time.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but IIRC Backuppc encodes files as it backs them
up. Is there a way in which I could scp/rsync this users files to my desktop
and decode them there?

As ever all suggestions greatly appreciated.

Huw
--
Huw Wyn Jones
Systems Administrator