BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Splitting large files - follow up

2010-02-12 06:03:46
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Splitting large files - follow up
From: "Nigel Kendrick" <support-lists AT petdoctors.co DOT uk>
To: "'General list for user discussion, questions and support'" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 10:58:52 -0000

I got some good advice from you guys on the pros and cons of splitting large files (MS-SQL database dumps) for backups and in return here’s my findings:

1)      Backing up one large file or lots of .part files takes about the same amount of time, as expected, due to rsync only copying changes

2)      Many of the .part files are identical on a day-by-day basis so we have significantly reduced the amount of disk space the backups take up due to BackupPC’s use of hard-linking

The tool we use to split, verify and join the .part files is called Swiss File Knife (sfk), It’s Open Source & available for Windows and Linux. Sfk has a lot of other useful features too and is well worth a look if you’ve not seen it before:

http://stahlworks.com/dev/swiss-file-knife.html

All the best