BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] backing up Exchange 2007

2010-02-11 23:07:39
Subject: [BackupPC-users] backing up Exchange 2007
From: Trey Nolen <support AT internetpro DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 22:04:38 -0600
I saw some emails about backing up Exchange 2007 a while back and someone said they had a script, but as far as I can tell, that script never got posted to the list.

I've been doing some work on this, and have it working, so I thought I'd post what I'm doing.

I've attached two files that are very simple but are part of the process. Basically, we are using VSS to create a copy of the Exchange data and then backing up that copy. I'm creating the copy with a scheduled task rather than doing as a "pre" command using backuppc.

Here it is:
Create a c:\offsitebackup folder
Create an exchange folder within it.
Copy diskshadowscript.dsh to the offsitebackup folder  (file attached)
copy offline-backup.cmd to the offsitebackup folder (file attached)
Make sure E: drive is not used on the server. If it is, modify those two files

Create a task that runs once every weekday at the time of your choosing.
For the command, use c:\windows\system32\diskshadow.exe
For arguments, use "/s diskshadowscript.dsh"  (no quotes)
For "Start In" use c:\offsitebackup

You can test the shadow copy by running the task manually. You should see your Exchange data in the c:\offsitebackup\exchange folder

Then make sure the BackupPC backup includes /cygdrive/c/offsitebackup.

That's it.  Hope this helps someone.

Trey Nolen