BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] ext3 filesystem limitations

2010-01-27 10:15:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] ext3 filesystem limitations
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 09:12:09 -0600
This would lead me to point to the drivers for, as well as the hardware
of, your RAID controller for possible problems.

The last time I came across similar issues, it has been, in one case, a
power supply unable to quite keep up, causing such flakiness when all the
drives were engaged, and in another case, RAM that ultimately tested bad.
I wouldn't necessarily rule out a bad kernel build, but BackupPC (and
other userspace programs) shouldn't be capable of crashing the kernel --
the key element of BackupPC is that it stresses a filesystem.