BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] ext3 filesystem limitations

2010-01-26 21:05:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] ext3 filesystem limitations
From: "Michael Mansour" <mic AT npgx.com DOT au>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 12:54:26 +1100
Hi,

> Hi folks,
>
> Has anyone experienced BackupPC crashing? I'm trying to recover our
> backup server. I can log-in with all the services switched off
> (interactive boot) but a normal start causes full blown kernel
> panics :( The server was running for about two years before this
> started to happen. Has anyone had any similar experiences? I'm
> trying to figure out what might be going on!

I have a BackupPC server running for a couple of years without issues (HP
ProLiant DL380 G3 with some chunky disks). I upgrade the Broadcom NIC firmware
in it, and it started to kernel panic every night thereafter. Never completed
a nightly backup run would always crash.

It took me a while to figure out it was the NIC firmware that caused the
problem. I downgraded the firmware back to its original and the problem went
away.

Running SL5.4 (RHEL5 U4 derivative) on that host.

Kernel panics are typically hardware related.

Regards,

Michael.

------- End of Original Message -------