BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Strict backup schedule

2010-01-26 21:09:04
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Strict backup schedule
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 12:40:34 +1100

Gerald Brandt wrote:
> I'm having problems with expiry though.  Take this months for example.
> I'll have 5 full backups on January 1, 8, 15, 22, 29.  The 29th will
> also be the monthly backup. Then February will be 5, 12, 19, 26, with
> the 26 being month end.   I usually keep the weeklies until the
> monthlies are done.  So, on Jan 26, I'll want to delete the Jan 1, 8,
> 15, and 22 fulls.  On Feb 26, I'll want to delete the 5, 12, and 19
> fulls.  March becomes a new issue.  When I do the Mar 31 backup, I'll
> need to delete Mar 5, 12, 19 and 26 fulls.

Why expire all of January in the first week of February? That means you
only have one weeks history? Why not just tell backuppc to keep 5
'weekly' fulls, which means you will always have the ones you want?

> I found a delete script that can do the deletes for me, but is that the
> only way?  I'd hate to have to parse output to figure out what to delete.

Yes, this is the hard part. Sooner or later you will probably need to
find a way to expire a specific backup number. I don't think this will
really work otherwise.

Personally, I don't like this solution either...

> BackupPC isn't meant designed to do this stuff, so I may have to script
> the whole process.  Ugh.  My perl "ain't so good".

Nope, it isn't... I don't think there is a 'proper' way to delete a
specific backup either, but it would definitely require a bit of
scripting, and making sure you don't 'mess it up' under any circumstance
is harder.

So far, I have used two variations:
1) Use the supported keep values (with various values)
2) Keep everything for ever. (Use excessively high keep values to cover
at least 10000 backups).

I think your main issue is that backuppc can't use block level
de-duplication. If it could, you could store all your daily SQL backups
with minimal actual storage space consumption. Of course, this would
come in handy for plenty of others too :)

Maybe someone else will have something more helpful to add.

Regards,
Adam

- --
Adam Goryachev