BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Strict backup schedule

2010-01-27 01:25:35
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Strict backup schedule
From: Luis Paulo <luis.barbas AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 06:24:17 +0000
If what you want to is keep a full backup for the last day of every month,

Why not make a zip dump on those days and store it on a disk?

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 2:24 AM, Gerald Brandt <gbr AT majentis DOT com> wrote:

> Why expire all of January in the first week of February? That means you
> only have one weeks history? Why not just tell backuppc to keep 5
> 'weekly' fulls, which means you will always have the ones you want?
>
> > I found a delete script that can do the deletes for me, but is that the
> > only way?  I'd hate to have to parse output to figure out what to delete.
>
> Yes, this is the hard part. Sooner or later you will probably need to
> find a way to expire a specific backup number. I don't think this will
> really work otherwise.
>
> Personally, I don't like this solution either...
>
> > BackupPC isn't meant designed to do this stuff, so I may have to script
> > the whole process.  Ugh.  My perl "ain't so good".
>
> Nope, it isn't... I don't think there is a 'proper' way to delete a
> specific backup either, but it would definitely require a bit of
> scripting, and making sure you don't 'mess it up' under any circumstance
> is harder.
>
> So far, I have used two variations:
> 1) Use the supported keep values (with various values)
> 2) Keep everything for ever. (Use excessively high keep values to cover
> at least 10000 backups).
>
> I think your main issue is that backuppc can't use block level
> de-duplication. If it could, you could store all your daily SQL backups
> with minimal actual storage space consumption. Of course, this would
> come in handy for plenty of others too :)
>
> Maybe someone else will have something more helpful to add.
>
> Regards,
> Adam

I appreciate the help.  For now I have a crontab entry that calls a bash script every Friday, to perform fulls for the server, and I've set $Conf{FullPeriod} to 7.1.  That should work for the next while, since Jan and Feb's last workday of the month is a Friday.

I also have a plan for running a full on the last day of the month, which is really no biggie.  I'll put that in place in a bit.

Now all I need is a smart backup expire plan, so that by December all I have is the last day of the month backups for Jan-Nov, and a regular slew of incrementals/fulls for Nov and Jan.

Gerald