BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Strict backup schedule

2010-01-26 18:36:41
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Strict backup schedule
From: Gerald Brandt <gbr AT majentis DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 17:36:27 -0600 (CST)
Hi,

I have a situation where I need a 'strict' backup schedule.

Our accounting data must be backed up daily, with weekly fulls on Friday and
Monthly fulls on the last day of the month. Have mid-week and every 4 week
fulls could mean we lose data. For example, if BackupPC does a weekly full on
December 29, that means the next weekly full is January 5th. When the dailies
get expired, it would be impossible for us to restore the last 2 days of
December.

In this particular case, we need a backup that is calendar driven, and not
driven by BackupPC's concept of 7 days weeks, 4 weeks in a month, etc.

My current backup is:

$Conf{FullKeepCnt} = [4, 0, 13, 0, 0, 100];

How can I change that (coupled with cron, I assume) so that at the end of the
year, I have 12 monthly backups, all on the last day of the month, and the
yearly on the last day of the year?

I really never thought BackupPC's concept of days/weeks/months would be a
problem, but now that I think of it, it can be.

Gerald