BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Strict backup schedule

2010-01-26 19:04:54
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Strict backup schedule
From: Gerald Brandt <gbr AT majentis DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 18:05:02 -0600 (CST)

> The simplest method would be something like this:
>
> $Conf{FullKeepCnt} = [365];
>
> This would give you every backup for the past 12 months... If this is
> only accounting data, then I presume it is relatively small (as
> opposed to user file shares and emails).
>
> Don't be scared of keeping too many backups... they will always be
> useful eventually. If you run out of space on the backup server, then
> just add more :)
>
> Of course, if you don't like that method, check the docs for the
> command line to tell the system to run a specific type of backup, and
> drop that into cron. Just set your backuppc *Period values to longer
> than cron will do it.
>
> Regards,
> Adam

That was actually my first thought, but the accounting system has EVERYTHING (accounting, inventory, payroll, in MS SQL Server) in it, so it would get prohibitively big.

I was thinking of 1 cron entry to do backups every Friday, and another one to do full backups on the last workday of every month.  I'm just not quite sure what to set myPeriod values to so that CRON override BackupPC.

Gerald

(ps: for finding the last day of every month, I went here: http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-34624.html (a MAC site, go figure).