BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Comments on this backup plan please

2010-01-26 09:07:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Comments on this backup plan please
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 15:06:19 +0100
Hi,

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 12:22:45PM -0000, PD Support wrote:

> We are going to be backing up around 30 MS-SQL server databases via ADSL to
> a number of regional servers running CentOS (about 6 databases per backup
> server). 10 sites are 'live' as of now and this is how we have started...
>
> The backups are between about 800MB and 5GB at the moment and are made as
> follows:
>
> 1) A stored procedure dumps the database to SiteName_DayofWeek.bak eg:
> SHR_Mon.bak
>
> 2) We create a local ZIP copy eg: !BSHR_Mon.zip. The !B means the file is
> EXCLUDED from backing up and is just kept as a local copy, cycled on a
> weekly basis.
>
> 3) We rename SHR_DayofWeek.bak to SiteName.bak
>
> 4) We split the .bak file into 200MB parts (.part1 .part2 etc.) and these
> are synced to the backup server via backuppc
>
> This gives us a generically-named daily backup that we sync
> (backupPC/rsyncd) up to the backup server nightly.
>
> We split the files so that if there is a comms glitch during the backing up
> of the large database file and we end up with a part backup, the next
> triggering of the backup doesn't have to start the large file again - only
> the missing/incomplete bits.
>
> Although the zip files are relatively small, we have found that their
> contents varies so much (bit-by-bit wise) on a  weekly cycle basis that they
> take a long time to sync so we leave them as local copies only.
>
> Seems to work OK at the mo anyway!

You might want to try gzip --rsyncable instead of ZIP and see whether it
makes a difference. Because of the file splitting etc. I'd add a .md5
checksum file, just to be sure. Also, there is a tool which name I
cannot remember which allows you to split a file and generate an
additional error-correction file, so you get a bit of redundancy and
chances are higher to reconstruct the archive, even if a part is lost.

Disabling compression in BackupPC for these hosts might speed things up
since the files cannot be compressed anyway.

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de
www.tisc.de