BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc performance 3Mb

2009-12-19 12:30:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc performance 3Mb
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 11:28:46 -0600
Tyler J. Wagner wrote:
> I see 20 mbit/sec each to 3 hosts simultaneously (60 mbit total) using rsync
> over SSH, GIGE LAN.  Files are the typical mix of user hosting files, mostly
> small with some big media.
>
> The server uses an ext3 filesystem on 3ware hardware RAID-5 with 6 SATA
> drives
> at 500 GB each.  Most hosts use either hardware RAID-1 or mdadm RAID-1 on
> SATA
> drives.  All desktops are single-drive SATA.

Backuppc is always going to be somewhat slower than native rsync because it is
using a perl version on the server side and working against compressed copies,
and on fulls it adds the --ignore-times option that forces the client to read
all the files to compare block checksums.  I think there is also a difference
in
the way the transfer is reported, where backuppc shows the actual bytes
transferred which may be a small number compared to the data the client has to
read from its disk.  The important metric is just whether you can complete in
the window of time you have.