BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsyncd via ssh-redirected port

2009-12-19 12:23:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsyncd via ssh-redirected port
From: Matthias Meyer <matthias.meyer AT gmx DOT li>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 18:21:28 +0100
Guido Schmidt wrote:

> Dear backuppc-users,
>
> I'm happily using BackupPC 3.1.0 for quite a while.
>
> I'm now trying to backup a public host (host.example.com) via an
> ssh-redirected port. I don't allow any command execution on that host (and
> therefore cannot use the wait command), so I wrote a script
> (sshtunnelcontrol, see below) to open and close the tunnel when needed. It
> is called as DumpPreUserCmd and DumpPostUserCmd.
>
> What works? The opening and closing of the tunnel.
> What does not? The connection to it. Nothing in the rsyncd-logs on
> host.example.com.
>
> If I leave DumpPostUserCmd empty the tunnel stays open and I can use it
> with rsync as user backuppc on a shell providing the password by hand:
>
>   rsync -av --list-only --port=32323 backuppc@localhost::Alles
>   /home/backuppc/test/

Do you provide the password during your script?
I don't know how BackupPC can know the password for the ssh connection.
I believe $Conf{RsyncdUserName} and $Conf{RsyncdPasswd} refers to the rsync
secrets and not to the ssh connection.

I would suggest to use public/private key for ssh.

br
Matthias
--
Don't Panic