BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc performance 3Mb

2009-12-19 04:29:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc performance 3Mb
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 09:12:43 +0000
I see 20 mbit/sec each to 3 hosts simultaneously (60 mbit total) using rsync
over SSH, GIGE LAN.  Files are the typical mix of user hosting files, mostly
small with some big media.

The server uses an ext3 filesystem on 3ware hardware RAID-5 with 6 SATA drives
at 500 GB each.  Most hosts use either hardware RAID-1 or mdadm RAID-1 on SATA
drives.  All desktops are single-drive SATA.

Regards,
Tyler

On Friday 18 December 2009 19:27:37 David Young wrote:
> Just curious, what's the max sustained throughput that anyone has seen with
> their system?  2-3Mbit/s is 250KB/s which seems really slow.  I'm in the
> process of setting up a local Backuppc server and now am concerned about
> performance.
>
> On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 9:25 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
> wrote:

> > seems

> > > Are your drives capable of better than 2Mb/sec sustained throughput?
> >
> > And if that is per-target, are you running several backups concurrently?
> >    More RAM might help, LVM hurts a bit.
> >
> > --
> >   Les Mikesell
> >    lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com

"Never appeal to a man's 'better nature.' He may not have one. Invoking
his self-interest gives you more leverage."
   -- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love", by Robert A. Heinlein