BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Slow link options

2009-12-19 12:18:21
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Slow link options
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 11:16:12 -0600
Kameleon wrote:
> I was able to get a full backup on 3 of the 4 servers. Two of them I was
> able to take the backuppc machine to the location and the third it was
> small enough to be able to complete over the T1. However we have one
> remaining remote location that has approximately 309GB of data that
> needs backing up. This initial full will take anywhere in the range of
> 10-20 DAYS according to my numbers.
>
> However, we do have an rsync of that server on another in-house server.
> It is a complete rsync minus a few directories like /proc /var etc. So
> we don't have to take the backuppc machine 3 hours away, does anyone
> know if it would be possible to somehow setup backuppc to use the
> complete existing in-house rsync as the base for the initial full backup?
>
> The setup on the rsync backup is that the entire backup is stored in
> /server/servername. Since backuppc stores the files in relation to the
> root directory how would I move the files from
> /var/lib/backuppc/pc/rsync-server/0/f%2fserver%2fremoteserver to
> /var/lib/backuppc/pc/remoteserver/0/f%2f? Should it be as simple as
> moving the folders? Or is this even possible?

One way would be to initially set up the new server backup with a clientalias
setting pointing to the local copy.  Then after you have a full, remove the
clientalias or change it to the real target.

But, mv'ing the directories should work too - as long as everything is on the
same filesystem and it is done in a way that doesn't break the hardlinked files
underneath.

    lesmiksell AT gmail DOT com