BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsyncd via ssh-redirected port

2009-12-21 13:53:11
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsyncd via ssh-redirected port
From: Matthias Meyer <matthias.meyer AT gmx DOT li>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 19:48:18 +0100
Guido Schmidt wrote:

> Matthias Meyer wrote:
>> Guido Schmidt wrote:
>>> What works? The opening and closing of the tunnel.
>>> What does not? The connection to it. Nothing in the rsyncd-logs on
>>> host.example.com.
>>>
>>> If I leave DumpPostUserCmd empty the tunnel stays open and I can use it
>>> with rsync as user backuppc on a shell providing the password by hand:
>>>
>>>   rsync -av --list-only --port=32323 backuppc@localhost::Alles
>>>   /home/backuppc/test/
>>>
>> Do you provide the password during your script?
>
> The ssh-connection works (authenticated via public key). The password I
> refered to is for connecting to rsyncd and that is stored in
> $Conf{RsyncdPasswd}.
>
> It seems that backuppc does not reach the point where it actually tries
> to connect to rsync daemon. There are no entries in the rsyncd-log
> (there are when I use the rsync-command above). How can I find out more
> what happens and what not?

I don't really know what the problem :-(
You can increase the loglevel with $Conf{XferLogLevel}.
What happens if you start your tunnel interactive and leave DumpPreUser as well
as CmdDumpPostUserCmd empty.
Try your interactive:
  rsync -av --list-only --port=32323 backuppc@localhost::Alles
/home/backuppc/test/

If it work, start a backup via BackupPC.

Why do you need the identification by rsync? I would believe you can trust your
ssh-tunnel and dont't need an additional authentication.

br
Matthias
--
Don't Panic