BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsyncd via ssh-redirected port

2009-12-22 05:33:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsyncd via ssh-redirected port
From: Guido Schmidt <gs AT schalloch DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 11:31:27 +0100
Matthias Meyer schrieb:
> Guido Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Matthias Meyer wrote:

>>> Do you provide the password during your script?
>> The ssh-connection works (authenticated via public key). The password I
>> refered to is for connecting to rsyncd and that is stored in
>> $Conf{RsyncdPasswd}.
>>
>> It seems that backuppc does not reach the point where it actually tries
>> to connect to rsync daemon. There are no entries in the rsyncd-log
>> (there are when I use the rsync-command above). How can I find out more
>> what happens and what not?
>>
> I don't really know what the problem :-(
> You can increase the loglevel with $Conf{XferLogLevel}.

I already increased it to 6, but that didn't give any more details.

> What happens if you start your tunnel interactive and leave DumpPreUser as
> well
> as CmdDumpPostUserCmd empty.

Okay, we're getting closer. That way the backup worked.
So I either get BackupPC to open the tunnel or to do the backup. That's odd.

> Why do you need the identification by rsync? I would believe you can trust
> your
> ssh-tunnel and dont't need an additional authentication.

There a users with shell-access to that host. Not protecting the port
would give them read-access to the whole file-system.

Guido

--
Schalloch Musikhandel GmbH
  Percussionsabteilung