BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Cant find how to set what is backed up!

2009-10-27 18:35:43
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Cant find how to set what is backed up!
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 18:31:57 -0400
Holger Parplies wrote at about 18:43:59 +0200 on Wednesday, October 21, 2009:
 > Hi,
 >
 > Andrew Schulman wrote on 2009-10-21 05:49:59 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
 > Cant find how to set what is backed up!]:

 > > This happens to me all the time.  If you edit a file as root, some editors
 > > will preserve the file ownership when you save, others (emacs) will change
 > > it back to root.

I am pretty sure that emacs (by default at least - I'm sure you could
always configure it otherwise) preserves ownership when "editing" if
by this you mean editing & saving back to the same file. Now it is
true that backups of said edited file may be owned by root or by the
original owner -- however, that is a *feature* that is
configurable. That behavior is determined by the emacs variable
backup-by-copying (along with 3 other variables that allow more
granularity over such behavior).