BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Cant find how to set what is backed up!

2009-10-21 05:56:55
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Cant find how to set what is backed up!
From: Andrew Schulman <andrex AT alumni.utexas DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 05:49:59 -0400
> Le mardi 20 octobre 2009 à 19:23 -0400, giorgio p a écrit :
> > I'm trying to get backuppc configured.
> > I thought I had done the required setup...
> >
> > In the /etc/backuppc/config.pl file I have:
> > $Conf{XferMethod} = 'rsync';
> > $Conf{RsyncShareName} = ['/home/storage','/home/george'];
> >
> > In the /etc/backuppc/hosts file I have:
> > localhost   0       backuppc
> >
> > However when the backup runs it appears to just backup the /etc directory
> > which isn't even specified.

I think this last point is the clue.  I you've edited config.pl as root, it may
have become owned by root and not readable by backuppc or www-data (or whatever
your web server user is).  In that case, backuppc will fall back to a default
config, which just backs up /etc.

This happens to me all the time.  If you edit a file as root, some editors will
preserve the file ownership when you save, others (emacs) will change it back to
root.

Try 'ls -l config.pl' and 'chown backuppc:www-data config.pl', then reload the
configuration in the web interface, and look at the config again there to see if
it's correct.