BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Cant find how to set what is backed up!

2009-10-22 12:03:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Cant find how to set what is backed up!
From: Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey AT BUC DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 11:58:34 -0400
Holger Parplies wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Bowie Bailey wrote on 2009-10-22 11:17:22 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Cant
> find how to set what is backed up!]:
>
>> Holger Parplies wrote:
>>
>>> P.S.: You don't need to worry about write permissions unless you want to
>>>       modify these files through the web interface.
>>>
>> Which is highly recommended.  BackupPC has an excellent web
>> configuration interface.
>>

> yes, I was not trying to discourage its usage. My point was simply, "don't
> expect that to solve your current issue". Aside from that, config.pl has
> excellent comments that explain a lot of how BackupPC works (as well as,
> obviously, how to use the settings). So editing the file with an editor is
> in no way inferior to using the web configuration interface. It mainly depends
> on what feels more intuitive to you. Some prefer the web interface, some
> prefer
> editing the file. The two possibilities exist so that you can use both of
> them. Both have their advantages and limitations.
>
> But thank you for pointing this out. I see that my remark can be understood
> that way.

I wasn't actually replying to your remark as much as just encouraging
the use of the web interface.

I generally prefer to do configuration via manual editing of config
files, but in this case, I find BackupPC's web interface so easy to use,
that I prefer it.  And in the case of someone who is having problems
getting the config right because they are not looking in the right
files, I think it is doubly helpful because it automatically puts all of
the settings in the correct place.  I haven't looked at the config.pl
comments recently, but I have found the links from the web interface to
the docs to be very helpful on more than a few occasions.

--
Bowie