BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Putting the pool onto an external drive, such as a USB drive

2009-04-28 09:10:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Putting the pool onto an external drive, such as a USB drive
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 08:06:01 -0500
Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> On 04/27 02:39 , Laurin d'Volts wrote:
>> What I want to do is put the data pool onto a USB drive.
>
> Be warned, your disk performance will suffer considerably if it's on USB.
> Also, I've had terrible luck with external HDDs (one year, literally half of
> them were DOA or died soon after). BackupPC will stress any drive to the
> maximum; so if any app will make your drive fail, this is it.
>
> You may be much better off with a separate internal drive (which you can put
> in an external chassis for rescue purposes); or an internal drive on a
> removable sled of some sort.

Yes, at the very least, use 2 or more of such drives and rotate them
regularly so you don't lose your whole history with a failure.  I use a
RAID1 set built with 3 members - 2 internal that are always present and
one that is swapped in periodically and sync'd.  I used to use external
firewire drives, but switched to sata in a trayless hot-swap carrier
when I went to larger drives.