BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Putting the pool onto an external drive, such as a USB drive

2009-04-28 08:03:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Putting the pool onto an external drive, such as a USB drive
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 06:56:06 -0500
On 04/27 02:39 , Laurin d'Volts wrote:
> What I want to do is put the data pool onto a USB drive.

Be warned, your disk performance will suffer considerably if it's on USB.
Also, I've had terrible luck with external HDDs (one year, literally half of
them were DOA or died soon after). BackupPC will stress any drive to the
maximum; so if any app will make your drive fail, this is it.

You may be much better off with a separate internal drive (which you can put
in an external chassis for rescue purposes); or an internal drive on a
removable sled of some sort.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator