BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How do the files look like when transferred?

2009-04-10 10:41:00
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How do the files look like when transferred?
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 00:34:38 +1000

Boniforti Flavio wrote:
> I'm about to import data from the actual filesystem, which in my case is
> on /mnt/remote/Omv ...
>
> [cut]
>
>>    appears at /mnt/cdrom/import/dir/file). Let's try adding
>> this to remote.pl:
>
> When you say *adding*, do you actually mean to add following lines at
> the end of the config.pl? Or would it be better so *substitute*
> (temporarily) the defined parameters?
>
>>    $Conf {XferMethod} = 'tar';
>>    $Conf {TarShareName} = [ '/some/path/to/share' ];
>>    $Conf {TarClientCmd} = '/usr/bin/sudo $tarPath -c -v -f -
>> -C /mnt/cdrom/import --totals';
>>    $Conf {TarFullArgs} = '$fileList';
>>    $Conf {PingCmd} = '&{sub {0}}';
>>    $Conf {BackupFilesExclude} = {
>>      '/some/path/to/share' => [ '/.Trash', '/.thumbnails' ],
>>    };
>
> Just tell me that above... And tell me also if you already tried this,
> because otherwise I would do it and report back (with your support and
> "guidance", of course!).

I think there might be a couple of things you are 'missing'... you are
focussed on a specific outcome, and somewhat blinded by the possibilities.

First, in relation to your question above, appending the lines to your
host.pl file will override the lines above. So whether you replace the
existing values, or append them, you get the same result. Of course, it
might be less confusing to comment out the original values, so that when
looking at it, you don't see the first definition and assume that is the
value in use (instead of realising the value is over-written below).

Now, back to your other thread about full backups, etc...

The whole point/concept of backuppc is to keep multiple backups on-disk
of your data. This is presented through the web interface as numbered
backups. ie, backup 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 etc... Some of those backups are
"full" backups and some are "incremental" backups. Either way, when
using rsync/rsyncd as your transport method, there is very little
difference in the amount of data transferred, because rsync only copies
the changes.

As mentioned, without regular incremental backups, (depending on the
version of backuppc you use) you may increase the amount of data being
transferred. Also, full backups make extra checks to ensure all the data
you need is transferred. So, do regular full backups.

When files are deleted from the remote host, they are simply "marked" as
deleted in the current backup. As you would expect, all the old backups
still include that file, so it can be restored from an older backups if
needed. (Isn't that one of the reasons we make backups?)

You use various parameters such as MaxFullBackups and FullPeriod etc to
specify how many backups you want to keep on your disk. When a backup is
older than you need, it is deleted and so are all the files related to
that backup (only if they are not needed by any more recent backups).

Also, while you have the same files from multiple full and incremental
backups, they only consume 1 x the amount of space. The file is stored
once under the pool (or cpool) and then hard links are added to make
that file appear under each needed backup (under the pc/<name>/<number>
tree)

Please read the FAQ/Documentation, a lot of the above is explained
better and in more detail there. Or, if you don't want to, just trial
backuppc with the default settings for a while and observer how it
works... It really does do a lot, and does what a lot of people want. It
doesn't do everything, and may not do what you want, but so far, it
sounds to me like it does - by default....

Regards,
Adam