BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Sending csums, cnt = 0, phase = 1 - Backups stuck!

2009-04-09 09:54:47
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Sending csums, cnt = 0, phase = 1 - Backups stuck!
From: "Boniforti Flavio" <flavio AT piramide DOT ch>
To: "Holger Parplies" <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 15:50:45 +0200
> I'm no expert on Windoze backups, but from what I've read on
> this list the problem is *not* the difference in rsync
> versions, but rather the protocol version 28 being used. You
> currently can't get around that.

OK, I can agree on this, because protocol version doesn't necessarily
depend on rsync version...

> The rsync implementation on the BackupPC server is the Perl
> module File::RsyncP, not native rsync. You can install
> whatever version of rsync you like (on the BackupPC server -
> presuming you're not using it for local backups of the
> server) or even leave it uninstalled. The only thing of
> interest is the rsync(d) on the client to be backed up.
> Jeffrey's point is that the problems we've all been reading
> about or experiencing for so long with rsync over ssh backups
> of Windoze clients seem to disappear with protocol version 30
> (which you can only test with native rsync, not BackupPC).

[snip]

Therefore we should pray to get File::RsyncP which supports protocol
version 30 asap, right?

[snip]

> Maybe there is a workaround available (and maybe there
> isn't). Maybe investigating this would be a waste of time. I
> don't know. Just sharing my thoughts.

It's ok and it's the only thing we can do here, besides going on with
trial-and-error scheme.
I'm available to make *deep* debuggings, if anyone out there has the
technical ability to support me and to detect the real cause of this
mess!

> So, to summarize, running rsyncd (!) on the Windoze side
> seems to be the best option, but you're already doing that.

Ineed, I am.

> Remind me, please, which version of BackupPC and File::RsyncP
> you are running and what your XferLogLevel is set to. If

I'm using BackupPC 3.1.0-6 (on Debian testing) but don't know how to
check File::RsyncP version. I just see this:

ii  libfile-rsyncp-perl                  0.68-1.1+b1

Is this OK?

> possible, try a command line rsync with the '--protocol=28'
> switch to see if native rsync has the same issue or not.

Plain "rsync" (no ssh tunnel) with that switch is working and syncing:

rsync -rtz -vvvv --protocol=28 --delete --ignore-errors --numeric-ids
--delete-excluded --stats --progress mail.omvsa.ch::profilo/
/mnt/remote/Omv/daily.0/profilo/

gave following output:

opening tcp connection to mail.omvsa.ch port 873
note: iconv_open("UTF-8", "UTF-8") succeeded.
sending daemon args: --server --sender -vvvvtrz --ignore-errors
--numeric-ids . profilo/
(Client) Protocol versions: remote=30, negotiated=28
receiving file list ...

[...]

Number of files: 5212
Number of files transferred: 69
Total file size: 364908222 bytes
Total transferred file size: 8589239 bytes
Literal data: 1284321 bytes
Matched data: 7304918 bytes
File list size: 144461
Total bytes sent: 34462
Total bytes received: 622428

sent 34462 bytes  received 622428 bytes  5318.95 bytes/sec
total size is 364908222  speedup is 555.51

[snip]

> I'm sorry that I can't be more helpful. I know how
> frustrating this kind of problem is.

You're quite helpful, thanks!

> Regards,
> Holger