BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc fails after updating opensuse to 11.0

2008-09-07 13:35:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc fails after updating opensuse to 11.0
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 12:35:10 -0500
rorschach999 wrote:
> yes I did:
>
> here it is again:
>
> Contents of file /hdc1/backuppc/pc/192.168.123.101/XferLOG.bad.z, modified
> 2008-08-30 18:48:44
> Running: /usr/bin/smbclient \\\\192.168.123.101\\data -U jo -E -N -d 1 -c
> tarmode\ full -Tc -
> Xfer PIDs are now 3995,3994
> WARNING: The "printer admin" option is deprecated
> Unknown parameter encountered: "character set"
> Ignoring unknown parameter "character set"
> Unknown parameter encountered: "mangle case"
> Ignoring unknown parameter "mangle case"
> Anonymous login successful
> Domain=[JOJO] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.2.0rc1-22.1-1795-SUSE-SL11.0]
> tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
> Anonymous login successful
> Domain=[JOJO] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.2.0rc1-22.1-1795-SUSE-SL11.0]
> tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
> tarExtract: Done: 0 errors, 0 filesExist, 0 sizeExist, 0 sizeExistComp, 0
> filesTotal, 0 sizeTotal
> Got fatal error during xfer (No files dumped for share data)
> Backup aborted (No files dumped for share data)
>
> If I run the command
> /usr/bin/smbclient \\\\192.168.123.101\\data -U jo -E -N -d 1 -c tarmode\
> full -Tc -
> in a shell I get the same, but if I omit the -N option, then I am prompted
> with my password. The password is in the "per PC" config.pl in my topdir and
> should be handed over to smbclient automatically.
>
> Therefore I asume it has something to do with the way smbclient is handling
> the authentication, or with the accessability of the config.pl file, where
> the PW is saved, meaning problems with permissions.
>
> but as I mentioned before, it seems to be significant that I dont see my old
> backups anymore in my backuppc browser frontend but I do see my per-pc config
> files, so backuppc seems to know, where to look at.

I think some Fedora versions had a problem like this for a while and it
had something to do with a change in the way smbclient parses its
argument list.  Backuppc exports the password in the environment, so you
would have to do the same to test from the shell command line.  Can you
install an older (or newer) version of samba/smbclient?

Smbclient also reads some settings from your /etc/samba/smb.conf that
might affect the ability to authenticate, like the domain and password
server.   Normally these would be set to accomodate a samba server on
the machine if at all but they could be wrong for a client connection to
a backup target.