BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Backuppc not working (can't read 4 bytes error)

2008-09-01 19:05:42
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc not working (can't read 4 bytes error)
From: "David Hopkins" <dahopkins429 AT gmail DOT com>
To: BackupPC-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 19:05:37 -0400
I have installed backuppc and can access the CGI interface via apache.
 Apache runs as the backuppc user.  I added the localhost to the
backup to run a single backup against the backup server before trying
to backup other systems.  However, I get the can't read 4 bytes error
message when I try to run a backup.  I have the user for the host
listed as root.  However, changing it to backuppc doesn't help.  Also,
I have set up and tested the ssh keys for both root and backuppc
accounts so I don't have to enter anything to log in via ssh. I
checked that perl can resolve the localhost and that works.  I also
tried changing the command to use /usr/bin/sudo $rsycncommand
$arglist+  but that also error'ed out.

FInally, ran the command interactively but the results don't seem
correct.  Specifically, the xfer.log error is:

Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l root ncsfs2 /usr/bin/rsync --server
--sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links --hard-links
--times --block-size=2048 --recursive --checksum-seed=32761
--ignore-times . /home/
Xfer PIDs are now 30725
Read EOF: Connection reset by peer
Tried again: got 0 bytes
Done: 0 files, 0 bytes
Got fatal error during xfer (Unable to read 4 bytes)
Backup aborted (Unable to read 4 bytes)
Not saving this as a partial backup since it has fewer files than the
prior one (got 0 and 0 files versus 0)

Also, it this seems command would backup . to /home/ ?  At least if
run as root that is the exact behavior.  Just running the rsync
portion of the command takes all files in the current directory and
places them directly in /home without subdirectories.  Finally, the
presence of --server and --sender cause the command to fail as well.
Removing them and the command will run interactively but with them it
will not.

I have deleted and recreated the ssh keys, changed the command line to
use sudo which then gives a different error: It says you need a tty to
run sudo.  At this point I am not sure what to try next.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins