BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Full vs. Incremental (was: Backup through slow line?)

2008-09-06 05:17:25
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Full vs. Incremental (was: Backup through slow line?)
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 11:16:15 +0200
Hi,

dan wrote on 2008-09-05 21:26:25 -0600 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Full vs.
Incremental (was: Backup through slow line?)]:
> the real difference between an rsync full and incremental in backuppc are
> the 3 following
>
> 1) a full has rsync ignore matching mtimes and checksum all files while and
> incremental trusts matching mtimes
> 2)backuppc has a different keep/delete schedule for fulls vs incrementals.
> 3)an incremental backup in backuppc only holds changed files and and backup
> is filled by the previous full backup

(make that "backup of next lower level" instead of "full backup"; also note
that you are using the term "filled" contrary to its meaning within BackupPC)

> while a full backup has no dependancy on another backup.
>

> there are no other differences.

... except

4) a full backup is based on the previous backup of any level (including
   possibly a partial backup) and an incremental is based on the last
   (successful) backup of the next lower level. Most of this has been
   mentioned in this thread before.
5) Failed full backups are saved as partials, failed incrementals aren't.

> does that explain it??

That depends on how you define "explain". It doesn't detail the consequences,
but we've had that, and reducing it to the technical differences does add
another point of view.

Regards,
Holger